In the hunt for a quick method of painting lots of Beja (which will undoubtedly be needed when I finally cave in to the latest Perry plastics), I decided to have a go at using oil paints! I did three test models using the Army Painter Leather Brown as an undercoat, followed by painting with Lamp Black oil paint wiped off with a sponge. After drying (about 4 days), the other details were quickly touched in with acrylics. I think the results will be fine en masse - not quite as detailed as layering up from a black undercoat, but a darn sight quicker!
I also had a go with black washes, but for me the oils provided the best contrast.
The models are Perry metal Beja.
Very simple, but I think it does the job. I'm considering an Azande army for Darkest Africa soon, so it'd be interesting to see how quickly an army would paint up using this method...