Trafalgar

Fire as she bears question..

Moderator: andy

• Advertisement

Fire as she bears question..

Postby seldon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:51 pm

Hello everyone, new to the board here..

Quick question, does anyone see a problem with the "Fire as she bares" rule being used as a way to combine firing with maneuvers that could prevent you from shooting or force you to shoot half broadside ?

thanks
Francisco
Last edited by seldon on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seldon
Warhound
Warhound

Re: Fire as she bares question..

Postby TikaKino » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:54 am

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head where that'd be a problem. Unless I'm missing a possibility the only circumstances you can get your broadside halved are if you change sail setting and fail (done before you start your move), heave to (should be pretty obvious it's needed), take certain damage results (takes effect as it happens) or split your broadsides (decided at firing time). So there shouldn't be any issue.

Are there any other relevant circumstances I'm missing?

Edit: Also, Welcome!
TikaKino
Skirmisher
Skirmisher

Postby seldon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:08 am

thanks for the welcome :)

Well, what about if a ship moving second FASB and then tries to tack and fails thus getting in Irons ? This would encourage ships to try FASB before tacking since you might get a free shot...

Also from your explanation it would seem that you guys play like ALL sail settings are defined at the start of the phase before ANY moves..is that so ?

Francisco
seldon
Warhound
Warhound

Postby scrivs » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:50 am

As she bares what :D

I agree somewhat after having a ship with a nicely tee-ed up shot set on fire by a Fire as She Bears having her broadside halved. But it's just one of those things and the -1 penalty does apply.

Welcome to the board.
The Scrivsland Blog

Clearing the backlog 2013....

Purchased: 12
Painted: 115

That's just the 28mm stuff, I'm not even going to start on the other scales.
scrivs
Chieftan
Chieftan

Postby TikaKino » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:32 am

seldon wrote:Well, what about if a ship moving second FASB and then tries to tack and fails thus getting in Irons ? This would encourage ships to try FASB before tacking since you might get a free shot...

True, you do have the chance of being unable to fire if you end up In Irons (I missed that last night!) - I don't think that's too big a deal, especially because of the -1 to-hit penalty. You're getting a less powerful broadside, and only avoiding the possibility of failing to fire all together. Presuming no other penalties, that -1 alone will reduce your expected damage output by a third.
seldon wrote:Also from your explanation it would seem that you guys play like ALL sail settings are defined at the start of the phase before ANY moves..is that so ?

No, it isn't - again, I missed the possibility of firing on another ship that's moving before you move (that's what I get for posting five minutes before bed :?). That's a harder call.

My gut reaction would be that since it's supposed to be a quick reaction shot, it's not too much of a stretch to have it over and done with before sail change and thus unaffected by the possibility of halving (the -1 penalty would again balance that). I would probably house-rule that if you want to keep the option of going to Full Sail, you need to take the additional -1 penalty you would suffer at Full Sail.
TikaKino
Skirmisher
Skirmisher

Postby seldon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:53 pm

Ok, so as I see it I am playing the sequence right, and in general people are not too concerned by these issues ...

Thanks for the answers on fire as she bears ;)

cheers
seldon
Warhound
Warhound

Re: Fire as she bears question..

Postby Bosun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 pm

I know it's a game mechanism, and I might sound pedantic but taking a -1 for firing as you bear I find a bit odd, as all ships are continually moving and there fore all shots were fired as the ships guns bore. There, thats that off my chest.
Bosun
Skirmisher
Skirmisher

Return to Trafalgar