Trafalgar

Are these Rules good for....

Moderator: andy

• Advertisement

Are these Rules good for....

Postby blue in vt » Wed May 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Howdy all!

I'm new to the forum and just returning to Wargamming after more than a decade off. I currently work at a Museum in Vermont (USA) that has a focuses on the AWI and in particular on the Naval battle that took place at Valcour Island on Lake Champlain. This battle in involved an American fleet of 15 vessels and a British Fleet of around 20. While the fleets were composed of a variety of vessel types most of the fighting was carried out by gunboats. The battle was a tactical defeat for the Americans...but on a strategic level it delayed the British invasion of the Champlain and Hudson valleys for a year which allowed the American forces to gather at Saratoga in 1777.

Anyway...I digress. I would love to game out this battle and am wondering if this rule set is flexible enough to allow it to be adapted to this type of engagement. If not are there other rules that might fit better? We certainly aren't talking about ships of the line etc. Also are there any good models of smaller vessels like gunboats that you could point me toward?

I appreciate any help you can offer!

If you are interested in the battle here is more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Valcour_Island

Cheers,

Blue
blue in vt
Skirmisher
Skirmisher

Re: Are these Rules good for....

Postby aecurtis » Wed May 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi, Blue:

E-mail sent, with recommendations for models in different scales, and rules designed for small vessel actions.

Allen
aecurtis
Warlord
Warlord

Postby aecurtis » Wed May 05, 2010 4:48 pm

By the way, your museum is one I never got to visit as a kid, as it didn't exist yet; it's on my list!

Allen
aecurtis
Warlord
Warlord

Postby vonBerlichingen » Sun May 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi, Allen. I only found this thread just now, while satisfying my curiosity about Trafalgar. I, too, would be interested in gaming actions among smaller vessels in North America. May I have a copy of your tips about rules and models?

Thanks!

aecurtis wrote:Hi, Blue:

E-mail sent, with recommendations for models in different scales, and rules designed for small vessel actions.

Allen
[No historical quotes to be misread by those who do not know their history ...]
vonBerlichingen
Chieftan
Chieftan

Return to Trafalgar